Since the creation of a branch in 1851, members of the St Albans Ward had held their meetings in homes, halls, a tearoom and other various rented accommodation in the town. Around 1960 the church bought a house in Ridgemont Road from the St Albans City Council.
This Victorian house had been used for many years as a girl's reform school and was adapted as a meeting place by members of the branch. From the time that the branch was made a Ward in 1963, the local saints tried to obtain planning permission on this site to build a chapel but it was turned down due to lack of off-road parking space. Time after time the local planning authorities turned down applications on other sites. A local brother discovered that a property at the rear of the meeting house was up for sale and provided the solution for parking, so, the leadership tried again.
The members went into action to prepare the way before planning permission was sought. Local city councillors were lobbied and their support sought for the project, neighbours were canvassed to explain the benefits that the new building would have on the local community. At last the city council gave its approval and a new era was born.
Work on the new building was started in the spring of 1974, the old building was demolished, a temporary meeting hut was erected for Sunday services and members committed to working on the site. Great support from all the members was given from both young and old some even undertaking the skilled work. The building was dedicated in August 1976 by Elder Mark E. Peterson.
This article is part of the Church History website: