This website will assist you as a counselor in addressing emotional/social issues while attending FSY. The introduction video provides an outline of what is an emotional/social situation and how best to react to a situation.
EMOTIONAL AND SOCIAL
The purpose of the following training is to answer these questions:
- What does emotional and social help involve at FSY and how can it help?
- What skills are necessary?
- How to notice symptoms of emotional/social stress.
- How to stabilize or de-escalate a situation until professional help can be provided.
This video provides you with listening skills to help those who are experiencing emotional/social stress.
This Video provides you with techniques to identify the signs or symptoms of emotional/social stress.
This Video provides you with skills on what to do when you encounter a concerning emotional/social situation.
PONDER. DISCUSS. RECORD.
- How can you make FSY a safe social/emotional experience?
- What skills or strategies you could learn now, to provide psychosocial support to the youth, without being a mental health professional?
- Know when to seek professional help.
ACTIVITY - Discussion Guide “How can I minister to others during a crisis”
Complete FACING CHALLENGES: A SELFHELP GUIDE (pages 12-17) and review it with your family, friends, or support system, share some of your responses and coping strategies. What did you learn about yourself?
Review section 2:”IDEAS OF WHAT TO SAY AND DO” (pages 7-9). Practice applying the principles and questions suggested in that section in your daily life situations over the next few days.
Role play– youth isolation, listening.
Discussion Guide: How can I minister to others during a crisis
Life Help: Mental health section
European youth mental health helpline